Tuesday, August 11, 2026

A Journey Through Les Mis (2/)

 


So I've made it through Volume One "Fantine" - totaling 300 pages and bringing us to the dramatic point of...[SPOILERS AHEAD]

Fantine dying and Jean Valjean/M. Madeleine escaping the capture of Javert.

The reading since my last post was a large part of the story I had forgotten (from the movie/musical version). As the plot moved along, the story started to come back to mind. Yet the book is different enough from the movie to keep an extra tight hold on my attention. I am actually glad I haven't watched the movie recently so some of these forgotten minor plots aren't spoiled. 

A tip of the cap to Mr. Hugo, who, while often verbose, certainly can use that quality to build up tension. You feel the struggle within Valjean as he deliberates late at night in his room and even outside the courtroom. You feel his struggle with knowing what is right in God's eyes versus what we can excuse "just" in our own eyes.

At the same time, I can appreciate the counter example of Sister Simplice who straight up lies to Javert in order to aid Valjean. Both Valjean's surrender to the purer calling of his conscience and the Sister's exception-al lies are honored. Hugo isn't in the business of passing absolute judgment on these characters and their actions...except I believe with Javert. 

Javert represents law without grace. Truth without love. Obedience without mercy. 

"Sinners" like Fantine with little or no agency are not condemned by Hugo even if they were by their time and context. "Saints" like Javert are judged for their rabid insistence on holiness while wielding power with no room for forgiveness.

Now we press on with Valjean and his mission to seek out little Cosette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment