I'm reporting back having read through the 'Cosette' section Book 4, approximately 445 pages.
I recall before I started reading a comment, either in an online review or maybe the abridged version I had picked up. The editorial comment related to this section, something along the lines of some critics have considered Hugo's lengthy description of the Battle of Waterloo unnecessary and superfluous.
I can certainly understand that point of view. Had I been reading this on a time crunch or for a academic class, I most definitely would have been frustrated by this rabbit trail.
However, being a history nerd at heart, I took this as an opportunity to brush up on my knowledge of the actual battle and to reorient myself to the geography both of Waterloo and of 19th century France.
It is not really essential to the larger story; the connection is made to the Thenadier's but a modern editor would have sought a much more efficient way back into the plot.
I'm not going to complain though. The story does advance.
Some other notes (SPOILERS):
- Hugo's interpretation of Napoleon's fall at Waterloo is one generally blaming providence/coincidence. He seems to want to honor the fallen French and limit the credit to the British. I'd have to do a deeper dive to determine if his view holds water with historians.
- These chapters do deviate from the movie/musical. Jean Valjean is rearrested by Jalvert after his dramatic courtroom confession. And he serves a bit more time before finding a heroic opportunity to escape. Artistic license makes sense in this case for the movie.
- Your heart breaks for Cosette. And also, surprisingly, for the infant Thenadier son who is apparently nameless and neglected all the time.
- The light of grace shines brightly as we see Jean Valjean and Cosette come together. The transformation the bring to each other, each truly learning what joy and grace and love are is heartwarming. I'm sure the drama isn't over but the reader can breathe a happy sigh at this point.
- Their house - in the film/musical it was always a point left unexplained to me. It's nice to have some context for that from the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment