Even if it's my own self-imposed deadline, I'm overdue for an update on my reading through this classic. I'm 585 pages in, working through the Marius volume (part 1).
Not that it matters but my reading pace has slowed considerably as I've started a doctoral program which involves a considerable amount of reading assignments. And the parts I have gone through with this book haven't been the most action-packed. Some interesting developments have arisen. Here's some highlights:
- I noted at the end of my last summary, the house Valjean and Cosette resided in. Turns out, that wasn't going to last. As the continued pursuit of Javert forces their flight.
- The account of the chase was suspenseful. Part of the exercise of reading this book has been engaging my imaginative vision. Trying to take Hugo's descriptions and building it out in my minds eye. We live in such a visual world that it is a seldom-used skill anymore.
- Our pair end up finding refuge at a convent, which is maintained by a former acquaintance of Valjean, Fauchelevent, who Valjean had rescued in an earlier scene as Mons. Madeleine (fun little callback!).
- Many pages are given to describing the convent. Not the most riveting but it has its purpose (I'm assuming some here).
- One interesting point of commentary comes at the end of the description of how Valjean and Cosette get folded into the little community there. Hugo offers some comparisons between the convent and the prison. Not mere equivalence, but contrasts as well. To paraphrase, one offers expiation for oneself, the other expiation for others.
- I stopped during a section devoted to "gamins" - impoverished yet spunky children of the street. The relevance of this was lost to me until I remembered one particular character from the movie.
All in all, the book continues to entertain and be thought-provoking. We'll see how much I can fit this 'fun' reading into my downtime while balancing my classwork.
No comments:
Post a Comment