Monday, October 6, 2014

Music Mondays



This song is taking the American Church by storm. If it's possible to make such a statement based on anecdotal evidence. It's a song that did not initially strike me as a worship song in the sense of one we'd sing in church. But the more exposure I had to it, I began to see its appeal.

That said, it's a difficult song to honestly sing. This blog does a phenomenal job of explaining why we should think twice before we sing it. We should be just as self-aware in all of our worship as this blog is with this particular song.  There is a danger of being overcritical, but it is worth the risk, rather than go on numbly and ignorantly declaring things in worship we really don't believe.

Why feature the song at all then? Well, this acoustic version strikes the right tone to me. It's humble, understated, and more prayer than performance. And given it's lyrical content, that is the right approach in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment