Monday, January 19, 2015

Music Mondays

I recently taught our Sunday School class about Old Testament prophets and how to read and interpret those books of the Bible. 

One of they key principles we considered was how the prophets were less about predicting the future and more about prosecuting and persuading God's people in the present. Prophets went to great lengths to wake people out of their spiritual slumber and/or encourage them with the future glory that was in store for God's faithful followers.
 
Those things came to mind as I thought about how today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. He was very much a modern-day prophet who passionately pointed out the injustices in our nation. 

The rapper/hip-hop artist Lecrae, an outspoken Christian, echos MLK's message in his song "Welcome to America", which he recently performed on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon".

The rap/hip-hop nature of the song may not connect with everyone, but the lyrics are pointed and provoking:



(Last half of the last verse)
And y’all don’t know a thing about that
You was made in America
I’m trying to find me a ticket
Where the sky is the limit catch a plane to America
It should be plain to America
Y’all blessed and you got it made
Heard y’all don’t pray no more
Y’all ain’t saved no more
Y’all looking for another way
Well, I hope it ain’t true
But I’m packing my suit
Farewell to my motherland
Said bye to my loved ones
Fate here I come, I’m going to another land

I done made it to America
I’m amazed at America
But I couldn’t get approval to stay so they sent me away from America

No comments:

Post a Comment