Monday, June 1, 2015

Music Mondays

Yesterday we had a special 'Camp'-themed service as the Rick Miller, director of Camp Shipshewanna at the Brethren Retreat Center, was our main speaker.

Our church has a long history with the BRC and Camp Shipshewanna and we have given scholarships to 9 kids connected to our church to attend summer camp this year.

Summer camp can be a really special time in the lives of youths. It provides a great opportunity to disconnect from all the stuff of the world and really focus on the Lord. I personally have many great memories from attending my church camp and then later on being a counselor there. And in high school, some of the most spiritually-enriching times were when I attended Word of Life Camps in New York with my Youth Group.

Given our emphasis on Sunday, our worship team prepared a special song set that allowed us the opportunity to sing some of our old camp favorites. 

One song that stands out to me has a classic camp song is our featured selection on this Music Monday. We didn't sing "Shine Jesus Shine" yesterday, but whenever we sing it I think of the fun motions that varied over the years as I was growing up and singing it at Word of Life. Of course, along with being a fun song, it has a strong message about desiring God to shine his light through our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment