Monday, February 1, 2016

Music Mondays

In Ephesians 2, Paul shares the essence of the Gospel by describing who we were before Christ and who we are after.
"Before"

"After"
In my sermon yesterday, I offered this illustration - a picture of me in my younger basketball playing days vs. me currently. It's kind of the opposite characterization as Ephesians - I mean, I'd love to be what I was physically 13 years ago. 
But I am married now and pastoring, having survived seminary. We own an nice house and have had some really fun experiences. So I guess I really would want to be where I'm at today if I had to choose, anyway, I digress.

The point is, that we are completely transformed spiritually when we give our lives to Christ. We were dead, then God makes us alive. We are not able to save ourselves by our good deeds, but God saves us by His grace and then empowers us to do good works.




God's grace is truly amazing and powerful and wonderful. While we didn't sing it during the service, I find this song to be a fitting one to extol God's wonderful and matchless grace. 


This is a great rendition that really takes advantage of the various parts that can be sung. It also doesn't take away from the focus - which is Jesus and his gracious rescue of us 'defiled' sinners. This style is not as appreciated anymore, but it certainly has value as we ponder God's work and sing His praises for all He's done.


No comments:

Post a Comment