Monday, March 7, 2016

Music Mondays

The old cliche, "you learn something new everyday", applies to my morning today. Giving brief contemplation to what to do for Music Monday, I started searching YouTube for some classic songs of my youth.

And low and behold, I stumbled upon a music video from my all-time favorite band that I'd never seen before:

I don't know how this had slipped pass me, but I'm sure I've never seen it before. I love the song, it's an overlooked single on an album chalk full of great songs. And 20 years later, it's message is even more relevant for us today. We live in a nation where progress has been made in racial reconciliation, but last year showed us just how far we have to go. 

And this song absolutely nails the Biblical theology on race issues in such a compact and clear way, 
"We're colored people and we live in a tainted place. We're colored people and they call us the human race."
"Ignorance has wronged some races, and vengeance is the Lord's. If we aspire to share this space, repentance is the cure."
I remember thinking about this song as a high school-er recognizing it's truth but now as my worldview has enlarged, I realize how significant these issues are to a much clearer extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment