Monday, April 25, 2016

Non-Music Monday

I realized something today. Unlike 95% of most people, I actually like Mondays.

You might think, "of course you do, you're a pastor and Monday is your day off." That would be wrong. I take Tuesdays off.

Mondays have become essentially 'miscellaneous days' for me. While each week varies, Mondays are less about study and Sunday-prep and more about people and pet-projects. I often use Monday to visit people, whether it be in nursing homes, the jail, the hospital or their homes. And if some of those places seem unusual - ask your pastor, he probably frequents those places too. 

Sometimes it is a duty and something I know I need to do. 
Other times, it's an absolute privilege and blessing. This morning for instance, I had the opportunity to meet with someone going in for surgery. In the middle of it, I felt what can only be described as 'a holy moment' as I met with them and their family and prayed. It wasn't me, but God decided to use this unworthy vessel to show up.

Another one of the highlights of this Monday was preparing the final exam for the class I've been teaching at my alma mater. The fact that my schedule allows me the chance to teach freshman college students how to read and study the Bible is pretty cool. And I find Mondays to be an optimal day to get ready for Wednesday. Pet projects like this help me be refreshed and ready for the weekly demand to proclaim "Thus says the Lord" on Sunday morning.

I don't write this to pat myself on the back - as I said, many other pastors are doing the same thing. Frankly, there are people in my church who do this kind of thing and do it better than me.

No, I write this to give those of you non-pastors a peek behind the curtain as to what goes on in full-time ministry. Also, I share it to prove the point we ministers work more than 1 day a week :). So while you may be battling 'a case of the Mondays', try to find something redeemable about your day as well as your weekly grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment