Monday, December 19, 2016

Music Mondays - Christmas Edition

This week's featured song is one I hesitated to pick at first.

Why? Well, while I knew it as a beautiful song, I didn't think it focused on the real Christmas story. 

Then I listened more carefully only to discover that the birth of Immanuel is in reality at the center of the song.


I grew up listening to a lot of Michael W. Smith's catalog. And this is when he's at his best. Arranging a gorgeous musical score and deftly adding in background vocals of choirs to add flourishes that make your hairs stand up on end.

I used to work with a classically trained musician/worship leader who once told me that Smith's scores hold up against anyone as far as their musical beauty and genius. This is one of those songs that makes me believe him. A great Christmas anthem extolling the warmth of the holiday but ultimately calling us to worship.

I like it so much, I'm adding a bonus video of a live performance:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment