Monday, January 30, 2017

Music Mondays

As a pastor, one goal I have each Sunday is to leave the people hungry for more. Hungry for more of Jesus and His Word, more of worship and fellowship with the people of God.

Well, yesterday I made them hungry in a more literal sense. We were studying the miracle of Jesus feeding the 5,000 in John 6. Jesus took 5 loaves and 2 fish and abundantly provided for this mass of people. But in the aftermath of the miracle, it became clear that there was a larger point. In verses 22-71, Jesus debates and discusses with the people the reality that he is the Bread of Life. He is true food from heaven, not meant to satisfy our bellies but our very souls. 

To accentuate this story, I remembered an idea from a seminary preaching class and I had some helpers bake Pillsbury rolls in our oven during my sermon. I should mention that our kitchen is right next to the sanctuary and they propped the door open a little and turned a fan on to waft the fragrance of baking bread through our sanctuary. Afterward a number of people made comments that it was really effective in causing them hunger pains. 

As to whether I made the proper theological connections and applications, you can judge for yourself here. But I wanted to highlight a song that captures the crux of John 6. Though it's not about 'bread', this Tomlin classic does extol the truth that Jesus is more than enough for all our wants and needs. He provides and gives us life. He is more awesome than we can even know.




No comments:

Post a Comment