Monday, May 1, 2017

Music Mondays

Last week during Exponential Conference I experienced a flashback to college as I spent a few late nights hanging out with friends and discussing some very random subjects. 

One such rabbit trail was old-school Christian music. I was chatting with two other guys who are a little older than me and our convo quickly turned to the obscure artists and acts we remembered.

At one point I was reminded of AVB or Acapella Vocal Band. 

In the 80's and early 90's, before Glee and Pitch Perfect made a capella performing a culturally cool thing, there were some Christian acts pioneering the art.

If you can get past the outstanding period haircuts (mullets!) and fashion, you'll recognize the talent.


Ok, I can't really get past the mullets and clothes...but still.

This second song was the one that really made me a fan though. I was in my early teens when I heard it and it was probably the first time I ever truly "got" the substitutionary atonement of Jesus. 


That song has always stuck with me because of it's clear Gospel message, atonement definition, and our call as disciples to "stop doing those things". Proper salvation theology includes the admonition to turn from our sin and towards our true purpose (Col. 3, Eph. 2:8-10). 

Mad props to AVB for instilling those lessons into this future pastor when he was still an impressionable youth.


No comments:

Post a Comment