Monday, June 3, 2019

Service Snippets

I was really happy with how my sermon on Bathsheba came together and how I presented it yesterday. The story resonates to our present culture in many ways and I believe she is truly one of the most misunderstood characters in Scripture (listen here). 

Having said all that, I fear my sermon was overshadowed a bit by something that happened right before. During our corporate time of prayer, I asked our work team to come forward for prayer. They were traveling down to Kentucky to help out at Riverside Christian School after the service. 

One of the leaders, Duane, jokingly suggested we pray for Karen E. who was going to be driving down as the third wheel with her husband and Duane. See, Duane and Jim her husband are quite the friendly duo who love to joke and razz each other. 

She responded to that remark by saying "that's ok, I have my Cheez-It's". Being in super-spiritual "prayer mode", I heard "that's ok, I have Jesus". And I complimented her saying, yes, it was good that she'd have Jesus with her. 

It was then that I began to realize my mistake when she said, "no, I said 'I'll have my Cheez-It's'. I don't think I was the only one who misheard her but everyone in our service burst out laughing. 

Fittingly, Duane's wife grabbed a box of those crackers and wrote "Jesus" on them and gave them to Karen as they took off Sunday afternoon.

It reminded me that as much planning as you can do, sometimes you just run into things like this in a service and there is no real way to save the decorum. And you know what, that's ok. 


No comments:

Post a Comment