Monday, December 7, 2020

Music Mondays: DOWN WITH SECULAR CHRISTMAS SONGS...EXCEPT THESE ONES

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts - the Various and Sundry Pod from Dec. 1 to be specific - and Doc Harmon said something towards the end that really resonated with me, two things actually.

First, he described how he insisted on not allowing Christmas music to be played in his home until after Thanksgiving. I am all for this rule! We don't play much music in our house to be honest. But if I'm in the car and a station starts playing Christmas music before I've eaten my turkey and stuffing, the channel is getting changed for sure.

Second, he expressed his overall disdain for secular Christmas songs that have no connection to the birth of Jesus. I can get behind this too. Most of the time. It got me thinking how there are a few exceptions to this rule in my mind. 

So here's a Music Monday feature on three songs I can't help but like despite having no spiritual Christmas message.

3. "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree" - Brenda Lee


This Oldie Classic was recorded when Lee was only 13 years old (!) and didn't become a hit until she later became a pop star later on. Why do I like this particular song? Maybe it's the lyrical focus on the family and friends time we spend during the holiday. I think it's always stuck with me though because of it's inclusion in the original Home Alone movie. 

2. Underneath the Tree - Kelly Clarkson


My wife owns this album and a few years ago I stumbled upon this song - probably on a trip to her parents for Christmas. This peppy tune reminds me of my number one song (below). Between her vocals and the catchy beat, it just sticks in your head in a sort of happy, good way.

1. "All I Want For Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey


Try as you might, I don't think you can hate this song. It's just too good. Too catchy, too sappy, too fun, too happy. Did you know last year, it hit #1 on Billboard, 25 years after it's release? Widely recognized as the best selling Christmas single of modern times, I for one can't not like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment