Monday, January 11, 2021

Music Mondays - Synonymous Songs

Sometimes you hear a song, and it reminds you of another tune. Maybe it's the words, maybe it's the guitar riff or melody - but some element of it shakes the dust off some musical memory that's been tucked away in the attic of your mind. 

Other times, there's an obvious homage - an intentional sampling of a beat or phrase. Then there are the rare times in my experience where there's an unintentional direct parallel.

This latter category came up recently with a newer song I was listening to. It called to mind two actual songs from two different eras of CCM. The connecting point that made these three songs synonymous, their title and key lyric. 

Let's start with the new and work our way back to the old. I'll offer brief comments on each song because I can't help myself.


"Who Am I" - Needtobreathe (2020)


In the Christian faith, there is false humility, shame-based humility, and appropriately honest humility. This song expresses the latter. I guess one could nitpick that it's ambiguous to be construed as human relationship-focused. But those nitpicks would be misguided. "You grow your roses on my barren soul" and "I don't understand where your love comes from" are amazing lyrics. I'd also offer my fanboy-biased opinion that this song offers the best introduction and sample of this bands style and Bear Rinehart's incredible vocal talent.


"Who Am I" - Casting Crowns (2004)


This song also expresses contrite humility in light of who God is. I always appreciated the clever lyrical turn of phrase "Not because of who I am, but because of what you've done. Not because of what I've done, but because of who you are." This band has never been a favorite but this is one in their catalogue I enjoy.


"Who I Am" - Third Day (1997)


Third Day would become CCM superstars in the early 2000's building off a solidly popular debut album. My favorite album of theirs is their second Pearl Jam influenced "Conspiracy No. 5". This particular single stood out to me. I realize the title is technically different but it's subject is much the same. It, like the others, focuses on our depravity and does offer hope: "And I know that you want to change me, want to rearrange the way I feel inside...and you take the broken hearts of lonely souls and you make all things right". But the way the song also lets us sit with our sinfulness was something I found helpful as a youth. Not in some dark, depressing way - but as a counter to a "quick-fix confession" that minimizes sin and the amazing grace God offers us by forgiving us even though he's aware of all we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment