Friday, May 5, 2023

What Goes Around...

Twenty-three years ago, I took a life-transforming trip to Europe, Germany and France specifically. 

I was fresh off my freshman year of college and a few months removed from our basketball season ending unceremoniously. We had started off fine, 9-9 at Christmas as I remember. We were a young team with a ton of physical talent and ability but were missing experience and internal strength. We then proceeded to lose 13 straight conference games in the gauntlet that was the MCC (now Crossroads League). We lost in every conceivable way. 

Up 4 with a minute left on the road vs. a top 3 team? Check.

Lose multiple leads to less talented teams at home? Check

Have players quit mid-game? Check

Get beat by the (other) worst team in the league? Check

And I was nowhere near the varsity rotation. I was a lowly JV player gaining valuable playing experience on another terrible team. Our JV team went like 0-16 with the closest contest being like 12 points.

Once the season ended, it was clear it was going to be a pivotal off-season for the program. And Coach Kessler had set up a missions trip to Europe for us to put on clinics, play games, and make connections for the missionaries and churches in those countries. 

With players quitting like rats jumping off the ship (who could blame them?), Coach was left with 3 varsity guys and me. He made some other contacts and found a few other people to join us. A track runner from LeTourneau and a middle-aged guy from Columbus, Ohio.



Despite, and because of, all of that background, we had a tremendous trip. Speaking for myself, I will always remember the trip because I got to participate in a trip where I could use my own love for the game to share my love for Jesus. As American basketball players, we had an automatic platform to share our faith and that was such a neat thing to experience.

Twenty-three years later, I am going back. 

One of my side-gigs is being chaplain for the current Grace Lancer basketball team. The program is in a much better place and should be a top 5 team next year in the-now-one-division NAIA (it was two back in my day).  Scott Moore, Coach K's successor whose older brother went to Europe with me, has continued the tradition of taking the team on an overseas trip.

Sunday we leave for France to do much of the same type of ministry. Clinics, games, connecting with churches - all are on the menu. This time, the whole team is coming. And this time, I get to go as a coach, driver, chaperone, and chaplain intent on pouring into these young men so that they can have a similarly transformative experience.

Prayers are appreciated, it's going to be a crazy trip without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment