Monday, March 11, 2013

Music Mondays

When I was searching for last week's Music Monday selection, I stumbled upon some classic 80's CCM. If you recall, last week's blog was all about the evolution of Christian music and how Christians were seeking to be salt and light and make excellent music, not just good "Christian" music.

Well, this week, I'm turning back the clock to share a favorite of mine that was from that period of time where Christian music was it's own sub-culture-that-you-dare-not-leave-or-else-risk-being-labelled-a-greedy-sell-out.

Just because the sub-culture was that way, doesn't mean there wasn't some great music and great musicians. In fact, I would put this week's artist right up with any female vocalist ever, Christian or non-Christian.  Sandi Patty is a five-time Grammy winner, 40-time Dove award winner (!), who's made five platinum and three gold records.

And she belongs on the list of all-time best female vocalists. Before I share my list, let me share this incredible song that features a great duet with Wayne Watson.




In no particular order, here's my list of all-time best female vocalists:
Whitney Houston
Aretha Franklin
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Jennifer Hudson
Etta James
Julie Andrews (in respect to my dad's well-informed musical opinion)
Sandi Patty

Obviously this is a modern-day 'all-time' list. It doesn't take into account the best vocalists from the 18th century. I also put more weight on vocal ability than on entertainment ability, which is why someone like Beyonce or Amy Grant isn't on this list. I got into a fun debate with a friend over this last week, feel free to comment about your own faves.

No comments:

Post a Comment