Friday, March 8, 2013

Sermon Snippets - Mark 6:30-56

In high school, I worked at the local Arby's during the parts of the year I wasn't playing basketball.  I continued to work there in college occasionally too, following the same type of schedule. Even during the season I'd occasionally work if I needed the money.

I remember one year, I was assigned to work the Sunday night of the Super Bowl. The Rams were heavily favored against the Tennessee Titans and though I was a little sad I'd miss the game, I didn't care all that much.

Unfortunately, that turned into one of the best Super Bowls ever, with the game coming down to the last play. And I missed it.

Sure I could read about it or hear about it from my friends, but it wasn't the same. I missed the chance to watch it as it unfolded and I've always kind of regretted that.

But given that the Big Game is the most watched TV event every year, there are probably millions of people who watched that game but because they weren't really into football, had no idea that what they were watching was a historically close contest. I am sure they found the game to be nice and interesting, but their opinions about their viewing experience probably had more to do with the commercials than the close finish of the game. And as a sports junkie, I find that to be sad.

What is even sadder is the fact that so many people miss the work of God, when it's playing out right in front of them. It's one thing to fail to comprehend how good of a game an event is, it's an entirely different thing to fail to comprehend what God is up to.

But this is not a new trend. The disciples repeatedly missed out on who Jesus was and what God was trying to show them through some unimaginable miracles. The second half of Mark 6 describes two of Jesus' most famous miracles. It also records that the disciples "did not understand...but their hearts were hardened" (vs.52).  Their example from this passage serves as a warning to us to make sure we do not miss what God is trying to show us and teach us.

No comments:

Post a Comment