Monday, October 7, 2013

Music Mondays: Songs that teach us stuff

I'd run low on ideas for Music Monday until it hit me. My posts are typically music-oriented or theologically-oriented, depending on if it's Monday or Friday. Why not combine them and follow the Scriptural idea of focusing on music that teaches?

In two different letters, Paul encourages Christians to use music and worship to teach one another:
"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord"               Eph. 5:18-19 (NIV)
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God."                                                              Col. 3:16 (ESV)
The Church's music should encourage spiritual growth and be the product of God's Word and the Spirit having free reign in our lives. Little is said in Scripture about the style, but clear admonitions are given about it's substance.  

I've come to observe something interesting about the music world. Popular contemporary Christian music often derives from popular secular music in style. When it comes to substance, the world's music revolves around one thing. Whether it is country, hip-hop, or Top 40, it's almost exclusively about one thing. It begins with 'l' and ends in '-ust'. The Church's music should be about better things.

Thankfully, we have an incredible tradition of music that fulfills the Bible's exhortations. And in upcoming editions of "Music Mondays", I'll highlight great songs of the faith and what they teach us.  Some may surprise you, as we often lose sight of the meaning of those songs that are most familiar to us.

For this initial entry, I wanted to start with a true classic. "Amazing Grace" is one that I could sing in my sleep, and I imagine you could too if you grew up in church. And yet, take another look at the lyrics and observe the progression the song takes:

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev'd;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come;
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis'd good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call'd me here below,
Will be forever mine.

Especially in verses 2-5, John Newton describes the impact God's grace has on us from our spiritual birth through the trials of life and ultimately on the hope of heaven it points us towards. It's a biblical and affirming progression for us, no matter what stage of life we are in. Older hymns tend to follow a progression more than newer songs and it's one reason why songs like this have stood the test of time. 

So next time you hear this played or sing it in church, appreciate the overlooked nuances of this classic hymn of praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment