Monday, October 21, 2013

Music Mondays: Songs that Teach us Stuff

I'm back from vacation and ready to return to our regularly scheduled blogs.

For this week's "Great Hymn, Great Theology" selection (a name I just came up with), I was flipping through a hymnal and came across this selection immediately stood out to me. Watch and enjoy and then I will explain why I like this song so much:



Simply put, I like this song because it's not about me. Many songs of praise focused on what God has done for us. There's nothing wrong with songs being personal, but sometimes we can forget our place. This song is wholly focused on God's greatness and uniqueness as our Creator and Lord. 
It finds it's theme in 1 Timothy 1:17:
Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever."
I especially like the third verse when it states, "We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree, and wither and perish - but naught (nothing) changeth Thee." See James 4:13-15 for another direct Biblical connection.

Even this video that I picked showcases old cathedrals that were built for the purpose of communicating God's grandeur and greatness. Let's do our best to avoid narcissism and a self-centered world view by praising God in ways that remind us of who He is and who we are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment