Friday, December 13, 2013

Sermon Snippets

I'm preaching on 'Giving' this Sunday. I'm feeling the tension. I'm not a TV preacher who can easily ignore the awkwardness and just come out and ask for my audience's money. I'm also not a Christian who has a sterling record with my own personal giving. So it's not a subject I'm entirely comfortable with.

I have seen it done though with the right approach at my old church and their 'Faith Promise' program. I'm so thankful to have been well-taught on the biblical principles of giving. Through my experience, I learned the most important question is not, "what can I/we afford to give"' but instead, "what can I trust God to provide for?"

That was the question that drove our yearly operating budget as well as what the leadership presented to the congregation every year regarding our missions giving.

It's still a area I struggle with in finding the right balance. I still have a ways to go to become a financially prudent Christian. We as a couple have way to many bills. But thankfully the biblical principles and attitudes are not things God beats us over the head with. They are freeing truths that draw us closer to our Savior.

Paul provides an encouraging summary of these truths in 2 Corinthians 9:7-8:
"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace about to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."

No comments:

Post a Comment