Monday, July 14, 2014

Music Mondays



When I was growing up, I was not a perfect child. 

That sentence probably shocks those of you who know me, but even though I gave my life to Christ at an early age and wanted to please God, I often failed and sinned. And when I got caught, shame and sorrow would set in my heart. 

I remember one time when we lived in Merrywood Trailer Court, my dad told me not to kick my soccer ball towards our neighbor's trailer because it would dent in their plastic siding around the bottom of their mobile home.

Well, I didn't obey and continued to play how I wanted to until my dad noticed the 'damage' I'd done. He sternly confronted me and probably spanked me - though that wasn't the most traumatic part of the episode (I don't even remember if he did or not). What the worst part of the whole thing was he made me go to our neighbors and personally apologize for messing up their siding. The siding could easily be popped back in - but that's beside the point - I had directly disobeyed and damaged someone else's property. I said I was sorry and they accepted my apology and I made sure I never did that again. 

Getting caught and the shame of personally apologizing led to me repenting. That's how a lot of life is - negative consequences warn us to avoid certain behaviors. From speeding tickets to IRS audits to personal relationships - our behaviors are often guided by avoiding and minimizing bad consequences. 

All of those sorts of examples make Romans 2:4 and the above song feel like a cool breeze on a hot summer's day. God certainly warns us of negative consequences throughout Scripture, but He also is just as forceful with Grace. When properly grasped within our souls, His Kindness will bring us to repentance. It's His Love that is better than anything else in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment