Friday, July 25, 2014

Sermon Snippets

One of the official markers that signifies one's entrance into adulthood is the resume. Once we enter the 'real world' and look to start our careers along the path we've chosen, the resume is what we use to represent ourselves and our past experiences to employers.

Mine is fairly straight forward, listing my education and degrees along with the Cum Laude and Magna Cum Laude designations I was awarded based on my GPA for by bachelors and masters degrees. Past work experiences are listed and described as well as my collegiate athletic achievements.

My resume is specifically designed for Christian ministry and I feel fairly proud with both it's presentation and content. 

I was reminded this week, the Apostle Paul's was WAY better. In Philippians 3, he spells out his own resume. However, he reveals that he's not proud of his privileged position and performance. In fact, he loathes it:

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.

Philippians 3:7-8 English Standard Version (ESV)

The only thing worth anything to Paul on his resume is "Saved by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ." The only thing that matters to Paul is his relationship with Christ, because nothing we could do could earn the favor of God. It's a beautiful reminder of what's really important. Not my resume but my relationship with my Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment