Monday, March 2, 2015

Music Mondays

Last week I was at a pastor's retreat with my wife down in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. One of the few scheduled activities they had was a mini-concert by Russell & Kristi

This concert featured several original pieces but was mostly centered on leading us in worship. One of the songs they led us in was a flashback to my high school days.

The song: "Wonderful, Merciful Savior"




The flashback memory it triggered was watching my youth group choir singing this through the various levels of Word of Life 'Teens Involved' competitions. I think I was a sophomore because that was the first year I had chosen not to sing in the choir. 

And I immediately regretted that as soon as I heard them sing that for the first time.  

It isn't a good worship song, it's a GREAT one. The seminary-trained theologian in me tends to closely critique the songs we sing and this one stands up to even the closest of scrutiny. It focuses on all three members of the trinity and offers nothing but honor and glory to our great God and awe for what He's done in saving us.

No comments:

Post a Comment