Monday, March 23, 2015

Music Mondays

Over the weekend, my wife and I attended a local Pastor's Appreciation Banquet that featured an really good musical artist named Ted Yoder, who specializes in the hammered dulcimer.

It's an unusual instrument but one that creates beautiful melodies. One well-known artist who utilized this was Rich Mullins. And throughout his concert, Mr. Yoder mixed in some songs from Mullins.

The concert reminded me of how GOOD Rich Mullins' music was. He's still appreciated for 'Awesome God' and his tragic death. But you comb through his library and not only will you find sing-able songs but a powerful voice of a broken man who enjoyed an intimacy with God. I fear those qualities are sorely lacking in our American Church leadership let alone the Christian music industry.

But complaining misses the point and is not what this post is about. Let's allow ourselves to be moved by the wonder and faith of some of these classics.

This one features the aforementioned dulcimer:


This one contains lyrics that haunt my heart every time I listen:


I'd rather fight You for something
I don't really want
Than to take what You give that I need 

...And Your grace rings out so deep
It makes my resistance seem so thin

No comments:

Post a Comment