Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Music Mondays - Thanksgiving Edition

I was well on my way to post a fairly pedestrian video of a fairly pedestrian song that expresses the admirable quality of biblical thanksgiving. There's nothing wrong with the song and it can be utilized in a very worshipful way in the right context.

Then I came upon another song on youtube that emphasizes a similar heart with a  little more musical and lyrical variety. It still is not the most exciting song in the world and it does go on for 7 minutes...but the main reason it caught my eye and made me decide to include it this week was the advertisement before the actual video. 

I'm not sure if the ad will be permanently be the same, but when I looked it up, it was a movie trailer for an upcoming comedy. A very crass comedy - to the extent that the trailer had several swear words and off-color jokes. 

The contrast between the two couldn't have been more stark. A serene yet sincere song expressing gratitude to God vs. a worldly and vulgar movie. 

My wife will tell you, I often let this kind of thing slide, consuming it without much conviction. Maybe my conscience was stirred because we are entering the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons. Hopefully it is because the Spirit is working on my heart and mind to not be so tolerant of what God deems as sinful. 

Maybe that's not where you are at. But maybe this can provoke us to consider these things a little bit more during this holiday season.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment