Monday, April 11, 2016

Music Mondays

I'm a bit of a music snob. 

There are plenty of songs on the radio that are popular in various categories that I almost reflexively skip when they come on the radio. Sure some people might like them - but if they are overplayed or just not in my wheelhouse musically, I have no time for them. Sometimes though, I get a chance to see an alternative or live version of the song and I totally change my mind. Something about seeing the artist play it themselves piques my interest.

This weeks' Music Monday selection is one such song. It's a fine Christian song about being a light in a dark world. It has never really stood out to me among the hundreds of songs like it that the CCM industry puts out yearly. But this intimate jam session is right in my personal-musical-taste-wheelhouse.




And I share it today because these kinds of themes have been on my mind since studying and preaching Ephesians 5:1-14. In this passage, Paul challenges Christians to stand out in a spiritual dark and decrepit world. We are especially called to 'Walk as Children of Light' and expose (challenge/confront/even 'push back') the dark. 

The lesson, at least for myself is, always keep an open mind with songs because many of them (especially Christian) have a relevant time, place, and lesson to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment