Monday, March 28, 2016

Music Monday - Easter Edition

Given that yesterday was Easter and the Christian musical canon is filled with great songs celebrating our Risen Savior, I thought I'd create a list of my favorite Easter songs.

1. "Forever" by Kari Jobe. 



Featured previously, it stands above the rest because of the incredible vocals, well-summarized theology, and overall declaration of victory and celebration.

2. "In Christ Alone" by Keith and Kristyn Getty


There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth, in glorious day
Up from the grave He rose again!

And as he stands in victory, sins curse has lost it's grip on me
For I am His, and He is mine, bought with the precious blood of Christ.

How great are those lyrics? How great are those truths? 

3. "He's Alive" by Don Francisco



My dad used to sing this song, which always gives me chills as it narrates the story from Peter's point of view. Hollywood spends millions of dollars on movies that try and fail to create the kind of tension and emotional response this songs accomplishes in a manner of minutes.

4. "I've Just Seen Jesus" by Larnelle Harris, Sandi Patty (written by Bill Gaither)

 

This one makes the list primarily because of the powerhouse performances by these two artists in this duet. But I'm also kind of a sucker for a song which narrates a story. And I've always loved the line "All that I've done before, won't matter anymore". But those vocals - just shut it down. It's over. They win.

5. "Easter Song" by Anne Herring

 

For whatever reason, I feel like this is Christmas song. I think it's the 'bells ringing' part that is often part of Christmas carols. Clearly it's a song celebrating Easter though. And kudos to this choir, who give it new life in an excellent performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment