Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Music Mondays (or Tuesday in this case)

For most people, their high school years are formidable times in the sense that we make choices that strongly affect the direction of our lives and form our own personal character.

Hobbies, movies, friends, and families all have strong influences on us during our teen years. And of course there is music. The music we listen to can both reflect and impact our attitudes and perspectives.

One song that affected me in these ways was "Jesus Freak" by my all-time favorite band, dc Talk. It was released at the perfect time as it's message and my own personal commitment to unreservedly follow Christ converged.
So I offer it as my first 'Music Monday', I offer to you my favorite song of all-time by my favorite group of all-time:




At the risk of over-doing it, let me offer some additional explanation and analysis. The lyrics explicitly ask the questions that were in the back of our minds growing up in a high school culture that was heavy on peer-pressure and conformity:

What will people think if they hear that I'm a Jesus Freak?
What will people do if they find out it's true?
I don't really care if they label me a Jesus Freak, there ain't no disguising the truth!

Turning a term of derision on it's head, making it a label to be proud of. Thank you dc Talk.
-----------------------
*These Music Monday selections are the author's own personal preferences and are not intended to reflect on the preferences of my ministry, my family, or anything else I am associated with.

No comments:

Post a Comment