Friday, March 29, 2013

Sermon Snippets - Easter Edition

Last night, after a great Maundy Thursday Service, I was significantly disappointed. Not with anything related to the service, but because my favorite college basketball team, the Indiana Hoosiers, lost in the NCAA tournament.

Their season had largely been an excellent one, as they were ranked #1 in the country more than any other team and won the Big Ten title in a year it was considered the best in the nation. I hoped and expected that they would at least make the Final Four in the tourney, cementing their incredible return to glory after suffering through some dreadful seasons a few years ago.

Alas, my expectations were not met and reality quickly set in as they were handily dismissed by Syracuse.

This may be going out on a limb to make a connection, but I think this bitter disappointment probably tastes a lot like what the disciples felt when Jesus was arrested and crucified.

They had dreams of glory and victory. They were hoping that Jesus was the promised Messiah, though their understanding was consistently flawed (Mark 8:32-33, John 20:9, etc.). When Jesus is arrested, tried, and hung on a cross I am sure their disappointment and despair weighed them down - admittedly to a much greater degree than what I am experiencing.

Couple that with the violence, abuse, and shame that saturated that Friday evening crucifixion and it's no wonder that Good Friday has long been a solemn occasion which precedes the joy of Easter Sunday.  That original Good Friday was the darkest of dark times.

Except for that it wasn't.

As I meditate on the Crucifixion story, something within me resists the popular bent towards solemness and gloominess of Good Friday services. I will still take the sufferings of Jesus on my behalf seriously.  But my gratitude overwhelms any bent towards sorrow because I know certain undeniable facts:

1. Jesus willingly embraced the suffering and the cross.
2. The extent of His physical and spiritual suffering matches the extent of our depravity. Therefore, I am (we are) responsible for nailing Him to the Cross.
3. This predetermined, God-ordained plan and Jesus' willingness to follow through are unmistakable indicators of God's incredible love for us (Romans 5:6-8).

And of that, I am thankful beyond what words or ideas can express.

Good Friday isn't a solemn occasion for me this year, but it is a holy occasion where I can fully celebrate and rejoice in God's amazing grace. And Sunday will be even sweeter!

No comments:

Post a Comment